Dr. Igathinathane Cannayen
Ph. D. Agricultural and Food Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
M. Tech. Post Harvest Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
B. E. (Ag) Agricultural Engineering, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India
Igathinathane (Igathi) Cannayen, Assistant Professor
Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
North Dakota State University
NDSU Dept. 7620, PO Box 6050
Fargo ND 58108-6050
Northern Great Plains Research Laboratory
USDA-Agricultural Research Service
1701 10th Ave SW, PO Box 459
Mandan ND 58554-0459
Ph: 701-667-3011; Fax: 701-667-3054
- Research - 95%
- Extension - 5%
- Biomass and feedstock process engineering
- Biomass physical properties and quality
- Biomass storage
- Postharvest and agricultural process and food engineering
- Mathematical modeling and numerical simulation
- Machine vision and computer applications in agricultural engineering
- LaTeX documentation system for journal articles and extension publications
- Innovation in research
- Energy beet front end processing for biofuel industry development
- Affected woody biomass utilization pathways
- Biomass and bioproducts physical, mechanical, thermal, hydration properties, nd quality
- Machine vision based wool fiber thickness determination and grading
- Size reduction and separation of biomass
- Biomass densification and packaging
- Mechanical preprocessing methods of feedstock
- Machine vision applications for dimensional, size distribution, volume estimation and grading products
- Thermal processing and energy densification of biomass
- Biomass feedstock logistics
- Economic aspects of biomass preprocessing and delivery
Current and Recent Project Grants
- Mechanical, thermal, and storage characteristics of biomass - amended. 2012-2017. Specific Cooperative Agreement between USDA-ARS and NDSU. Awarded August 2014. Total grant: $15,000. PI: Igathinathane Cannayen.
- Image Processing Based Wool Testing System. 2013-2014. American Wool Council. Total grant: $22,000. Awarded November 2012. PIs: Reid Redden, Igathinathane Cannayen, and Christopher Schauer.
Mechanical, thermal, and storage characteristics of biomass. 2012-2013. Specific Cooperative Agreement between USDA-ARS and NDSU. Awarded November 2012. Total grant: $17,000. PI: Igathinathane Cannayen.
Flood Affected Wood Biomass Utilization Opportunities in North Dakota. 2013-2014. US Forest Service and Cooperative Forestry Assistance. Awarded September 2012. Total grant: $73,570. PI: Igathinathane Cannayen.
Energy Beet Research, Phase II. 2012-2014. Renewable Energy Program, North Dakota Energy Commission. Total grant: $1,000,000. Front End Processing (FEP) component share: $194,972. Awarded January 2012. PI: Lloyd Anderson; FEP lead and Co-PI: Igathinathane Cannayen, and Co-PIs for other project components.
Environmental and Economic Consequence of Biomass Feedstock Production in The Northern Great Plains. 2008-2013. Specific Cooperative Agreement between USDA-ARS and NDSU. Total grant: $ 24,390. Award PI: Timothy Faller; Project PI: Igathinathane Cannayen (Status: Completed).
Biomass Testing Laboratory for Physical and Thermal Characteristics of Feedstock of North Dakota. 2010-2012. Renewable Energy Program, North Dakota Energy Commission. Total: $450,000. Awarded April 2010. PI’s: Igathinathane Cannayen and Cole Gustafson (Status: Completed).
- Member of American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE), 2004 to present.
- Member of ASABE FPE-01, FPE Executive and Steering Committee, 2011 to present.
- Member of Editorial Board of Journal of Renewable Energy, 2012 to present.
- Member of Editorial Board of Scientifica, 2012 to present.
- Member and Representaive of North Dakota Sate of Southern Regional USDA-CSREES Project S-1041, "The Science and Engineering for a Biobased Industry and Economy", 2010 to 2012.
- Member of Gamma Sigma Delta (GSD). Honor Society of Agriculture, North Dakota State University Chapter, 2011 to present.
- Member of Canadian Society for Bioengineering (CSBE/SCGAB)
- Life Member of Indian Society of Agricultural Engineers (ISAE)
- Member of Gamma Sigma Delta (GSD). Honor Society Mississippi State University Chapter, Division of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine, US, 2008-2009
- Member of Andhra Agricultural Union, India 1993 to 2002
Professional and Scholarly Activities
- Acted as reviewer (~ 210 articles) for scientific journals: African Journal of Agricultural Research, Agricultural Engineering International: The CIGR EJournal, Applied Engineering in Agriculture of ASABE, Biological Engineering of ASABE, Biomass and Bioenergy, Bioresource Technology, Biosystems Engineering, BMC Plant Biology, Chemical Engineering Communications, Chemical Engineering & Technology, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Fuel, Fuel Processing Technology, Internationl Journal of Food Properties, International Journal of Food Science and Technology, Journal of Food Engineering, Journal of Food Science, Powder Technology, Scientifica, The Open Mineral Processing Journal, Transactions of ASABE, and Walailak Journal of Science and Technology.
- Member of Editorial Board of Andhra Agricultural Journal (Engineering Division), India
- Reviewed US-Binational Agril. Research and Development (BARD) Fund, The Dutch Technology Foundation STW Funds, The Netherlands, National Research Foundation (NRF), Brummeria, Pretoria, South Africa, Small business Innovation Research & Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR-STTR), Dept. of Defence, US and Biomass Research and Development Initiative (BRDI), USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), US.
- Collaborated in revising the ASABE Standards S358.2 (Moisture Measurement—Forages) to S358.3.
- ASABE New Standards Development Lead - Image processing application for size and particle size distribution analysis for forage (committee PM-23/7/2) and particulate biomass (committee FPE-709)
- 2013 Biosystems Engineering - Certificate of excellence in reviewing - in cooperation with IAgreE and EurAgEng, Elsevier Ltd, Oxford, UK.
- ASABE - Outstanding Reviewers for 2010 Publication Year - Food and Process Engineering Institute
- 2010 Bioresource Technology - Outstanding Reviewer Award - Elsevier Ltd, Oxford, UK.
- 2008 Research Support Award – College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station (MAFES) - Mississippi State University, US.
- Student Research Poster Competition; Winner third place - Wei, L., Igathinathane, C., Pordesimo, L. O., Batchelor, W. D., and Lee, J. 2008. “A novel method for determination of surface area of biomass particles.” The 7th Annual Southern Bioproducts and Renewable Energy Conference, Mississippi Biomass Council, Inc. April 14-15, 2008, Choctaw, Mississippi, US.
- Life Sciences Poster Competition; Winner third place - Wei, L., Pordesimo, L. O., Wooten, J., Columbus, E. P., and Igathinathane. C. 2008. “Effects of operational parameters on syngas yield and quality in a downdraft gasifier.” The 6th Annual Graduate Student Association (GSA) Research Symposium, April 4, 2008, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, US.
- Top 25 Article Citations – Elsevier Journals:
- Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 2009, 66(2): 147-158
- Powder Technology, 2009, 193(1): 32-4
- Biomass and Bioenergy, 2009, 33(2): 255-266
- Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 2008, 63(2): 168-182
- Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 2006, 51(1-2): 1-16
- Research Associate – Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, US (Dec. 2006 – Apr. 2008; Mar. 2009 – Oct. 2009):
Biomass feedstock engineering, handling, preprocessing, pelletization, machine vision, feedstock hydration kinetics, economic analysis, and syngas systems
- Visiting Scientist – University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada (May 2008 – Feb. 2009):
Biomass feedstock engineering including pelletizing, densification, mechanical strength characteristics of densified materials, size and size distribution by machine vision, size reduction, and handling
- Research Associate – The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, US (Apr. 2003 – Nov. 2006):
Size reduction, separation, energy requirement of size reduction, linear knife grid, corn stover moisture relations on field and after harvest, equilibrium moisture sorption and thermodynamic studies of corn stover components, storage and hydration studies of corn stover components
- Assistant Professor – College of Agricultural Engineering, Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University, India (Nov. 1993 – Mar. 2002): Teaching students of B.Tech. Agricultural Engineering and B.Sc. Agriculture students (18 courses) and research project guidance (19 undergraduate and graduate research projects)