Xinhua Jia - Publications and Reports
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
1. He, Y., T. M. DeSutter, D. Hopkins, L. Prunty, X. Jia, and D. Wysocki. 2012. Relating the value of EC1:5 to ECe of the saturated paste extract. Canadian Journal of Soil Science. Accepted pending with revision.
2. Jia, X., T.M. DeSutter, Z. Lin, W.M. Schuh, and D.D. Steele. 2012. Controlled drainage and subirrigation effects on water quality in southeast North Dakota. Transactions of the ASABE. Accepted.
3. Rijal, I., X. Jia, X. Zhang, D. D. Steele, T. F. Scherer, and A. Akyuz. 2012. Effects of subsurface drainage on evapotranspiration for corn and soybean in Southeast North Dakota. J. of Irrigation and Drainage. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)IR.1943-4774.0000508.
4. He, Y., T. M. DeSutter, L. Prunty, D. G. Hopkins, X. Jia, and D. A. Wysocki. 2012. Evaluation of 1:5 soil to water extract electrical conductivity methods. Geoderma 185-186:12-17.
5. Zhang, X., X. Jia, J. Yang, and L. Hu. 2010. Comparison of sensible heat flux measured by eddy-covariance and large aperture scintillometer over a corn field with subsurface drainage. Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 150:1182-1191.
6. Miller, G.L., X. Jia, and M.D. Dukes. 2010. Predicting temperature increases for synthetic turfgrasses. p. 127-139 In 2nd European Turfgrass Society Conference Proceedings. 11-14 April, 2010. Angers, France.
7. Zhang, X., L. Shi, X. Jia, C. Helgason, and G. Seielstad. 2010. Zone mapping application for precision-farming: a decision support tool for variable rate application. Precision Agriculture. 11(2):103-114.
8. T. F. Scherer, and X. Jia. 2010. A simple method to measure the flow rate and volume from tile drainage pump stations. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 26(1):79-83.
9. Jia, X., M. D. Dukes, and J. M. Jacobs. 2009. Bahiagrass Crop Coefficients from Eddy Correlation Measurements in Central Florida. Irrigation Science. 28(5):5-15.
10. Harmsen, E. W., V. H. Ramirez Builes, M. D. Dukes, X. Jia, J. E. Gonzalez, and L. R. Perez Alegia. 2009. A ground-based method for calibrating remotely sensed surface temperature for use in estimating evapotranspiration. WSEAS Trans. On Environ and Development 1(5):13-23.
11. Jia, X., A. Swancar, J. M. Jacobs, M. D. Dukes, and Kelly Morgan. 2007. Comparison of evapotranspiration rates for flatwoods and ridge citrus. Trans. of the ASABE. 50(1):83-94.
12. Jia, X., D. L. Larson, and W. S. Zimmt. 2006. Effective nitrate control with electrokinetics in sandy soil. Trans. of ASAE. 49(3):803-809.
13. Jia, X., M. D. Dukes, J. M. Jacobs, and S. Irmak. 2006. Weighing lysimeters for evapotranspiration research in a humid environment. Trans. of ASAE. 49(2):401-412.
14. Jia, X., D. L. Larson, W. S. Zimmt, and J. L. Walworth. 2005. Nitrate pollution control in different soils by electrokinetic technology. Trans. of ASAE. 48(4):1343-1352.
15. Jia, X., D. L. Larson, D. C. Slack and J. L. Walworth. 2005. Electrokinetic control of nitrate movement in soil. Journal of Engineering Geology 77(1-2):273-283.
16. Jia, X., E. C. Martin, and D. C. Slack. 2004. Temperature adjustment for reference evapotranspiration calculations in arid area. J. of Irrig. Drain. Eng.130(5):384-390.
1. Cihacek, L. J., D. Franzen, X. Jia, R. Johnson, and T. Scherer. 2012. Evaluation of soils for suitability for tile drainage performance. NDSU Ext. Bul. SF-1617. August 2012.
1. Rijal, I., and X. Jia. 2012. Reference evapotranspiration and actual evapotranspiration measurements in North Dakota. ND Water Resources Research Institute Technical Report No: ND12-02. http://www.ndsu.edu/wrri/Ishara%20Xinhua%20FinalReport.pdf. Fargo, ND. p30.
2. DeSutter, T., and X. Jia. 2010. Report for the North Dakota Department of Health for project: Tile drainage and subirrigation evaluation in Richland County for effects on soil and water quality. ND Department of Health, Bismarck, ND.
3. DeSutter, T., and X. Jia. 2009. Report for the North Dakota Department of Health for project: Tile drainage and subirrigation evaluation in Richland County for effects on soil and water quality. ND Department of Health, Bismarck, ND. p24.
1. Moeller, J. G., D. D. Steele, D. G. Hopkins, and X. Jia. 2010. Evaporation estimates for the Devil’s Lake Basin. ASABE 2010 Annual International Meeting, June 20-23, 2010, Pittsburgh, PA. Paper No. 1009132.
2. Rijal, I., X. Jia, D. D. Steele, T. Scherer, X. Zhang, and X. Pang. 2010. Comparison of evapotranspiration in subsurface drained and undrained field in North Dakota. ASABE 2010 Annual International Meeting, June 20-23, 2010, Pittsburgh, PA. Paper No: 1009554.
3. Pang, X., X. Jia, T. M. DeSutter, T. F. Scherer, D. D. Steele, and I. Rijal. 2010. Effect of subsurface drainage on water availability in the Red River Valley of the North. ASABE 2010 Annual International Meeting, June 20-23, 2010, Pittsburgh, PA. Paper No. 1009921.
4. Scherer, T. F., and X. Jia. 2009. A Simple Method to Measure the Flow Rate and Volume from Tile Drainage Pump Stations. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting, June 21-24, 2009, Reno, NV. Paper No. 096997.
5. Jia, X., X. Zhang, and D.D. Steele. 2009. Comparison of sensible heat flux measurements by a large aperture scintillometer and eddy correlation methods. American Society of Civil Engineers, World Environmental & Water Resources Congress 2008, May 16 – 20, 2009, Kansas City, MO.
6. Jia, X., T. F. Scherer, T. DeSutter, and D. D. Steele. 2008. Change of soil hardness and soil properties due to tile drainage in the Red River Valley of the North. International Meeting of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, Paper No. 084369, June 30 – July 2, 2008, Providence, Rhoda Island.
7. Jia, X., D. D. Steele, and D. Hopkins. 2008. Hourly reference evapotranspiration estimates for alfalfa in North Dakota. American Society of Civil Engineers, World Environmental & Water Resources Congress 2008, May 12 – 16, 2008, Honolulu, Hawaii. CD-ROM.
8. Jia, X., T. F. Scherer, and D. D. Steele. 2007. Crop water requirement for major crops in North Dakota and its vicinity area. ASABE Red River Valley Section Meeting Paper No. RRV-07133. St Joseph, MI.