- About us
- Future Cadets
The Home of Eagle Wing II
Eagle Wing II Throughout the Ages:
In 1952, Detachment 615 was one of 188 AFROTC units established across the country by the Secretary of the Air Force. Known as the Flying Sioux, it was hosted at the University of North Dakota. But did you know in 1979 Detachment 615 was deactivated? Due to low enrollment during the nationwide antiwar movements of the 1960’s and 1970’s, Det 615 was forced to close its doors. Up until then, the detachment thrived, producing over 700 commissioned officers throughout its 27-year span.
|During the 1980’s, several unsuccessful attempts were made to reestablish the University of North Dakota as a fully functioning AFROTC Detachment. With UND’s growing reputation for its Aerospace program, rising numbers in enrollment, and the value of an operating Air Force Base outside of Grand Forks, it became necessary to bring AFROTC back to the school. It was not until 1989 when the voice of NDSU Detachment Commander, Lt Col Brian Stephens, was heard with a letter to the Northwest Regional Commander. In 1992, a cross-town agreement was signed between the North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota, establishing UND as an Operating Location to the host, NDSU Detachment 610 in Fargo. Under this agreement, students attending the University of North Dakota can obtain a commission in the United States Air Force from the host detachment without physically attending NDSU. Thus, Eagle Wing II was born, including assigned personnel and facilities with the bulk of Det 610’s cadre residing in Grand Forks. Over the years, UND’s operation location expanded, accommodating three cross-town agreements with the University of Minnesota at Crookston, Mayville State University, and Park University. Since 1996, over 170 Eagle Wing II cadets have commissioned into 2nd Lieutenants. In 1999, it was named Detachment of the Year. Today, Eagle Wing II continues to excel in leadership training for the future officers of the United States Air Force.|