arrow_prev arrow_next
date_1914 1914

First courses related to architecture are taught in the Department of Civil Engineering and Mechanic Arts.

1922 1922

First Bachelor of Architectural Engineering degree is granted.

1969 1969

A new Center for Engineering and Architecture was completed by the fall of 1965 - at a cost of $1.4 million - and all five buildings were linked together by uncovered skywalks. The new facility housed sixty-five faculty members; twenty-five secretaries and technicians; and approximately 1000 students enrolled in Engineering and Architecture.

1971 1971

Department receives initial National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) accreditation for a five-year Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1971.

1983 1983

Establishment of a degree program in Landscape Architecture determined the current structure of the Department of Architecture and Landscape Architecture.

1992 1992

Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree receives Landscape Architectural Accreditation Board (LAAB) accreditation.

1999 1999

14,700-square-foot Ehly Hall addition completed, greatly expanding the department's design studio and library space.

2000 2000

Two Advisory Boards are established: one for the Architecture program, and a second for the Landscape Architecture program.

2004 2004

Department moves to downtown Fargo, occupying half of a 75,380-square-foot historic loft building. Facilities include studio and breakout spaces, classrooms, faculty and administrative offices, exhibition/activity space, a formal art gallery space, computer laboratories and a fully equipped wood shop.

2005 2005
  • Expanded department includes 19 full-time faculty and more than 600 students.
  • First set of departmental endowments are established.
  • Professional Council established to encourage alumni involvement.
  • Department hosts first Design Expo, with 12 firms in attendance.
2006 2006

Accredited Master of Architecture degree program begins, graduating the first class of students in 2007.

2008 2008

Department expands and moves to the renovated Klai Hall in downtown Fargo, named in honor of alumnus John Klai. Facilities include Architecture and Landscape Architecture studio and breakout spaces, faculty and administrative offices, the Departmental library and computer laboratory.

2009 2009
  • Alumni begin gifting jackets to the graduating class, funding the Annual Graduation Ceremony of the Department of Architecture and Landscape Architecture.
  • Department hosts first Term Abroad Program in Barcelona, Spain.