"Shadowing" is a job observation in your profession of interest. Completing a job shadow can help you better understand the daily work of professionals in your career interest area. The opportunity to see first-hand the environment in which you may someday work can help you to determine if it is a good match for your interests, skills and values. Job shadowing can also allow you an opportunity to ask specific questions you have about the career field, and to interact with current professionals and interns. A typical shadow in MLS consists of rotations through hematology, urinalysis, clinical chemistry, transfusion services, and microbiology.
Currently enrolled NDSU students with an interest in working as a Medical Laboratory Scientist may be eligible to complete a job shadow in the Sanford Clinic-Fargo Laboratory. Students new to the MLS major are encouraged to visit with an Allied Sciences staff member to determine if this experience is right for you. For NDSU non-MLS majors, an academic advising appointment is necessary prior to scheduling a shadow.
Planning to complete a job shadow:
Keep in mind that when you job shadow you will be entering a functioning health care facility in which patient care is the top priority. Space for shadows is available on a limited basis, and therefore advanced planning is a must.
When anticipated demand for job shadows exceed availability, prioritization of students scheduling job shadows will be made in consultation with the sponsoring hospital department.
To arrange a shadow you must do the following:
1. Obtain proof of a negative TB skin test (or negative chest x-ray) done within 12 months prior to the job shadow.
2. Obtain proof of 2 shots of MMR immunization.
3. Obtain proof of current flu shot.
4. Obtain proof of 2 doses of varicella vaccine if no prior history of chicken pox.
5. Contact the Dept. of Allied Sciences Program Assistant, Kris Errett, at Kris.Errett@ndsu.edu or 701-231-8713 to turn in documentation of #1-4 (above) and check out the HIPAA Orientation manual and accompanying forms.
Shadow dates and times will be set after all vaccination and shadow documentation is completed.