Currently enrolled NDSU students with an interest in Respiratory Care may be eligible to job shadow at Sanford Medical Center-Fargo. Students new to the RC major are encouraged to visit with an Allied Sciences department staff member to determine if this experience is right for you. For NDSU non-RC majors, an academic advising appointment is necessary prior to scheduling a shadow.
Planning to complete a job shadow:Keep in mind that when you job shadow you will be entering a functioning health care facility in which patient care is the top priority. Space for shadows is available on a limited basis, and therefore advanced planning is a must. When anticipated demand for job shadows exceed availability, prioritization of students scheduling job shadows will be made in consultation with the sponsoring hospital department.
To arrange a job shadow you must do the following:
1. Complete a TB skin test and provide proof of a negative result.
2. Obtain proof of MMR immunization.
3. Obtain proof of 2 doses of varicella vaccine if no history of chicken pox.
4. Contact the Dept. of Allied Sciences Program Assistant, Kris Errett, at Kris.Errett@ndsu.edu or 701-231-8713 to check out the HIPAA Orientation manual and accompanying forms.
When you report for your first shadow, you must bring the following documentation with you:
- Proof of MMR immunization
- Proof of a negative TB skin test (or negative chest x-ray) done within the last 12 months
- Proof of 2 doses of varicella vaccine if no prior history of chicken pox
- Completed Student On-Site Observation Agreement
- Completed Student Immunization Verification Form
- Signed Confidentiality Statement