Verification is a comparison of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) data and other external documentation. If you are selected for verification by the Department of Education or NDSU, you must complete the verification process if you are interested in receiving federal, state and some types of institutional financial aid. You may be asked to verify information such as income, federal income tax paid, household size, status as a dependent or independent student, citizenship, etc.
If you have been selected for verification, NDSU will send a request for required documentation to the HOME address listed on your Campus Connection account. This list of required documents is also available in the To Do list in Campus Connection. Subsequent notifications for documentation will be sent to the student's NDSU email address.
As part of this process, if tax information was not downloaded from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as part of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application process or if changes were made to the downloaded information, students must provide the Student Financial Services Office with their and spouse's or parents' Federal Tax Return Transcript and in some cases, statements from the Social Security Administration, Veteran's Administration or other agencies to verify benefits students and/or their family have received. Please note that a copy of your Federal Tax Return is no longer accepted!
If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval download process in the FAFSA, you may also go to the FAFSA website, www.fafsa.gov, click Start Here, and make a correction to your FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval process. If this is successful, you will not have to provide a Tax Return Transcript. For more information on how to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool click here.
How to Request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS
- Order online at www.irs.gov. Click on Order a Return or Account Transcript under Tools. Make sure you order the Tax Return Transcript, not the Tax Account Transcript! During this process you will need to print the the Tax Return Transcript. Please mail this directly to the address listed below.
- Call Toll free: 1-800-908-9946 This is a completely automated process. NOTE: This process takes 5 to 7 business days to receive your Tax Return Transcript. Do NOT have it mailed to NDSU; please have it mailed to your address and then send to NDSU.
- Obtain form online and mail to the IRS: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf NOTE: This process takes 5 to 7 business days to receive your Tax Return Transcript. Do NOT have it mailed to NDSU; please have it mailed to your address and then send to NDSU.
All of the forms required for verification can be found below. Please fill them out and mail them to:
Student Financial Services
Verification Documents and Forms
For more information about what is required to complete the verification process or to access the verification forms select one of the links below. Please select the term for which you are completing the verification process in order to ensure you are using the correct forms. Forms can not be used interchangeably between academic years, if the wrong form is submitted you will be required to submit the correct one before it can be processed.
- Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 Verification
- Spring 2014 and Summer 2014 Verification