Content | Navigation |

A Brief History


North Dakota State University offered its first business course in 1891. In 1987, NDSU established the College of Business Administration, which subsequently shortened its name to the College of Business in 2006.

The College of Business is committed to providing students with a quality education in the functional areas of business, a systematic exposure to the global business issues they will face in their careers, and an introduction to the technologies that will be a part of their work life. The College is guided by its mission statement “to develop professionally competent organizational citizens in a learning environment centered on creating and sharing knowledge,” and by the principle held by the University that students are paramount.

The College is accredited by AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Accreditation confirms an institution’s commitment to quality and continuous improvement through a rigorous and comprehensive peer review process. NDSU is one of only two schools in North Dakota and western Minnesota with AACSB International accreditation.    

In August of 2009, the College held its first classes in its new home Richard H. Barry Hall, one of three new facilities at the NDSU Downtown campus. It is home to more than 1,400 students, faculty, and staff. This wireless complex consists of 135,000 square feet and includes a six-story building with faculty and administrative offices, a three-story wing featuring 11 high-technology classrooms including a financial management center, and a 250-seat auditorium.

To top

Timeline

1890-91

North Dakota Agriculture College created, Business courses listed in first catalog

1960-62

NDAC becomes NDSU

1976-77

Undergraduate major in business administration established

1982

Masters in Business Administration (MBA) degree approved

1983

Department of Economics and Business moves to Putnam Hall

1985

John Scheilbelhut appointed Dean

1987

Department become College of Business Administration

1988

Management Information Systems major approved

1993

Harriette McCaul named Dean

1994

College is awarded AACSB accreditation candidacy status

1999

Jay A. Leitch named Dean

2000

College earns AACSB accreditation (December)

College departments formed:

Accounting and Management Information Systems

Management, Marketing, & Finance

 

2002

Drawings of proposed new building are unveiled

Beta Gamma Sigma chapter established

2003

Cuba: College's first international study trip

2005

Ronald D. Johnson named Dean

2006

College renamed: College of Business (CoB)

Student Management Investment Fund is founded

2007

President announces College to move to refurbished Pioneer Building on 10th St. N

Construction on Richard H. Barry Hall begins (July)

2008

Center for Global Initiatives established

New majors Management, Marketing, and Finance are added

College Ambassadors reorganize as leadership class named Legacy

2009

Students, faculty, and staff move into Richard H. Barry Hall (August)

Departments are renamed:

Accounting, Finance, and Information Systems

Management and Marketing

Graduate program established: Master in Accountancy (MAcc)

China: First study trip to China

European Semester established in Center for Global Initiatives

2010

Innovation Week begins in partnership with the NDSU Research & Technology Park (January)

Global Business Week begins in partnership with the ND Trade Office (March)

To top


Student Focused. Land Grant. Research University.

Follow NDSU
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Google Maps

Where Dreams become Opportunities through Learning

North Dakota State University

Phone:  +1 (701) 231-8651

Campus address:   Richard H. Barry Hall - Dept 2400

Physical/delivery address:   811 2nd Ave N, Suite 102, Fargo, ND  58102

Mailing address:  NDSU Dept 2400 / P O Box 6050 / Fargo, ND  58108-6050

Email: site manager

Last Updated: Friday, May 18, 2012 2:07:19 PM