Skills Employers Seek
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS - listening, verbal, written, presentation
- ANALYTICAL/RESEARCH SKILLS – ability to assess a situation, seek multiple perspectives, gather more information if necessary, and identify key issues that need to be addressed.
- COMPUTER/TECHNICAL LITERACY – basic understanding of computer hardware and software, especially word processing, spreadsheets and power-point, programming
- FLEXIBITLITY/ADAPTABILITY/MANAGING MULTIPLE PRIORITIES – manage multiple assignments and tasks, set priorities, and adapt to changing conditions and work assignments.
- INTERPERSONAL ABILITIES - ability to relate to co-workers, inspire others to participate and mitigate conflict with co-workers.
- LEADERSHIP/MANAGEMENT SKILLS – ability to take charge and manage co-workers.
- MULTICULTURAL SENSITIVITY/AWARENESS – demonstrate sensitivity, respect and awareness to other people and cultures.
- PLANNING/ORGANIZING - ability to design, plan, organize and implement projects and tasks within an allotted time frame. Goal-setting.
- PROBLEM SOLVING/REASONING/CREATIVITY - ability to find solutions to problems using creativity, reasoning, logic and past experiences along with available information and resources.
- TEAMWORK – ability to work with others in a professional manner while attempting to achieve a common goal.
- HONESTY/INTEGRITY/MORALITY – refusal to lie, steal or deceive; high regard for the standards of a profession and personal values; commitment to rules of conduct.
- DEDICATION/HARD-WORKING/WORK ETHIC – love the work and keep at it until a problem is solved and/or the job is done.
- DEPENDABILITY/RELIABILITY/RESPONSIBILITY – arrive at work every day – on time – and ready to work. Take responsibility for actions.
- POSITIVE ATTITUDE/MOTIVATION/ENERGY – drive and passion, demonstrated enthusiasm through their words and actions.
- PROFESSIONALISM – act responsibly and in a fair manner.
Top 10 Qualities Employers Seek
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Strong work ethic
- Teamwork skills
- Computer skills
- Analytical skills
(*Source: NACE Job Outlook – www.jobweb.com)