NDSU departments need to be aware of the University's basic receipting requirements and ensure that these requirements are being fulfilled.
Review NDSU's complete university policy on receipting department monies.
- All monies received must be recorded accurately and on a timely basis.
- Maintain appropriate receipt records.
- All monies received must be deposited in full, on a daily basis to Customer Account Services.
- Exception: departments with incidental amounts of cash or checks (less than $500) must be deposited at least weekly.
Departments should ensure that appropriate controls are in place to protect against fraud or the perception of fraud.
- Receipting duties should be segregated so that no one employee has complete control of the process.
- This includes initiating the charge, accepting and receipting the funds, preparing the deposit and reconciling the deposit.
- A strong control method is to have one employee process the receipting and deposit preparation for cash and checks and another employee perform the reconciliation of the deposit.
- Please contact Customer Account Services to discuss options for creating control procedures.
- View an Example of Department Deposit and Reconciliation Procedures.
- For deposits of cash and/or checks use the Department Deposit Form.
- Credit card transactions should not be placed on the same department deposit form as cash or checks.
- Ensure that proper contact information is provided on the deposit form in case questions pertaining to the deposit arise.
- Our office tries to process all deposits on the day they are received, however depending on volume some deposits may not be processed until the following business day. To help to ensure processing on the same day please submit deposits prior to 2:00 p.m.
- All deposits require a six-digit account number, a four-digit department number and a five-digit fund number.
- They may also include program numbers.
- All department numbers in the 7000 range require a program number.
- Departments are NOT allowed to deposit into appropriated, 30000 level funds.
- Our office does NOT deposit into 40000 level funds. These are Grants & Contracts controlled funds and require special permission as well as additional chartfield information.
- Contact Customer Account Services if you have any questions regarding department deposits.
Credit Card Information
NDSU discourages the practice of accepting any credit card information that has been written down. In order to provide the highest level of security to our customers, it is strongly encouraged that credit cards be swiped or otherwise electronically processed on a system that is considered secure by the PCI Security Council. No data should retained by the department in regards to credit card numbers. Receiving credit card numbers by fax, email, or postal mail is prohibited by the PCI Security Standards council.
- Review NDSU's Policy on Electronic Financial Transactions
- Review NDSU's Procedure regarding Electronic Financial Transactions
- Review NDSU's Procedure regarding Mobile Electronic Financial Transactions
If you would like to enable your departmental customers to pay you via credit card, the following options are available to you:
- Customers with charges posted on Campus Connection have the option to pay their charges online.
- Any customer you bill as an “Organization or Corporate account” does not have this capability.
- Instructions for Non-Student Online Payments
- Utilize the NDSU Marketplace System. Post products and services and collect payments online!
- Utilize a card swipe machine purchased from Bank of North Dakota. If your department would like to request a credit card swipe machine from Bank of North Dakota, please complete the Departmental Request for Dial up Credit Card Machine form. Any employees responsible for processing/receiving cardholder data must complete the Employee Credit Card Security Agreement.
- Utilize a third party vendor to process credit card payments for you. If your department would like to request a third party vendor for credit card collection you must complete the Departmental Request for Other 3rd party Online Processor form and submit it, along with the additional requested information, to the VP for Finance and Administration, the VP for Information Technology and Customer Account Services for approval. Any employees responsible for processing/receiving cardholder data must complete the Employee Credit Card Security Agreement.