Upper-Division Writing Program
Incoming and transfer students must complete 12 credits of coursework in General Education Category C, Communication:
- 3 credits are earned by taking COMM 110: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- 9 credits are earned through English courses:
- English 110 (or 112)
- English 120 (or 122)
- an upper division (300 or 400 level) writing course
Placement credit may be earned for English 110 based on ACT scores, so students should consult the placement guidelines for more information before registering.
Information concerning upper-division courses is available at these sites:
- Courses approved for general education (with sample syllabi)
- University Senate guidelines for incorporating the new upper-division writing requirement into program curricula and curriculum guides
The Center for Writers and the English department will assist other departments that desire to create their own upper-division writing course. Such discipline-specific courses will qualify for upper-division writing credit in Communication Category C if they are approved for general education credit and open to all students.
If you have any questions about the NDSU Writing Program, please contact the Department of English (231-9606) and ask for the Director of Upper Division Writing.