Policies and Procedures from the Office of Conference Programs, Memorial Union and the Departments of Residence Life and Dining Services are provided in the Conference Fact Sheet (pdf). Careful review of this information provides an important foundation for the planning of a conference.
NDSU Policies that apply to conference planning include:
Policy 407 - Provider of Services on Campus/Auxiliary Exclusive Services
Policy 155 - Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs
Policy 153 - Smoke Free Facilities
Policy 170 - Guides NDSU Staff in the Planning of Events for Staff and Guests
Timeline for Conference Planning –
- Secure campus housing, meeting room space, etc.- 2-4 years before the conference
- Attend all other conferences for your organization, take careful notes about the organization of the conference, the budget, rates, registration fees, facilities used, what did and did not work.
- Sign a conference agreement for facilities you'll use - 18-24 months before the conference
- Using previous programs, select rooms you'll use for your events. 12- 24 months
- Begin planning your conference menu according to your budget - either catered meals or dining center meals. Discuss options for special diets and monetary implications for your conference. 6-12 months
- Plan housing with careful attention to check in, check out and available options. - 6-12 months
- Begin fine-tuning the conference program (as much as possible) and confirm all locations for your events. 8-12 months
- Advertise your conference using all available tools. Beginning at 12 months
- Finalize your conference program, confirm audio visual availability and relay that information to any presenters. 3 months to 8 months.
- Finalize your meeting room schedule and release unneeded rooms. 2 months to 4 months
- Finalize your registration materials. 2 months to 6 months
- Finalize your dining arrangements, times and accommodations for special diets.
- Finalize your housing arrangements, room assignments.