Trends in Fitness and Healthy Lifestyles
This course is designed to learn about fitness and health related topics. Combining the latest research with sound medical advice and including aerobic fitness, flexibility and strength, students will have the opportunity to listen to expert presenters from areas of individual fitness, healthy living, nutrition and stress management. In this course, students will be asked to reflect upon and compare theoretical and pedagogical perspectives of multiple experts. The reflection will help students better understand the relationships between improved health and improved fitness.
As a result of participation in this course, students will be able to:
- Apply new knowledge when creating personal nutritional programs using the new food guide pyramid.
- Analyze current fitness strategies to incorporate aspects into personal fitness program.
- Compare and contrast past fitness regimes to the latest regimes.
- Evaluate a variety of the latest nutritional strategies.
- Learn about health concerns involving nutritional supplements.
- Analyze elements from differing strength training philosophies.
- Gain techniques and strategies, including healthy eating and caloric intake awareness/analysis, to help improve their students’ nutritional and lifestyle choices.
- Explore a variety of warm-up/cool-down techniques using flexibility training protocols.
Bushman,B. (2011). Complete Guide to Fitness & Health, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.