Framework for Understanding Poverty, Part 2
The purpose of this course is to learn how generational poverty causes a lack of resources and opportunity which ultimately affects how a student learns.
1. Understanding the basic concepts in learning.
2. Understanding new learners have different needs for instruction and certain activities have a higher payoff in learning for a given amount of time.
3. Learn the mental models in science, math, social studies and language arts, and learn strategies for translating the abstract to the concrete.
4. Learn how to help students build cognitive capacity for planning and controlling impulsivity.
5. Learn how to provide students with a systematic approach, vocabulary, plan and procedures to complete all portions of academic tasks.
6. Question making: Building cognitive capacity for making questions in the minds of students.
7. Sorting Strategies That Use Patterns: Learn how to enable students to sort the important from the unimportant.
"Understanding Learning" by Ruby Payne. May be purchased at ahaProcess.com prior to the first day of class.