Refocus & Recharge: Strategies for Finding Balance in Teaching
With the ever increasing demands on teachers, the subject of teacher wellness is a timely and important one. This course explores a wealth of strategies teachers can enlist to attain professional and personal balance, avoid teacher burn-out, and re-charge. Explore such strategies as: how to manage stress, ways to be a part of the larger community, teaching with a sense of purpose, the importance of self-efficacy, positive engagement, and planning of one’s time and energy.
- Understand the importance of maintaining personal and professional balance which enhances one’s ability to be an effective educator.
- Learn strategies for prioritizing professional balance.
- Model examples of strategies to help colleagues and students achieve balance and well-being which will help them be better educators and learners.
- Research, explore, analyze and reflect on the importance of seeking balance in educational settings.
- Explore how teacher burn-out affects student achievement.
- Enlist strategies that will help teachers re-charge.
Anderson, Mike. (2010). The Well Balanced Teacher: How to Work Smarter and Stay Sane Inside the Classroom and Out. Alexandria VA: ASCD.
McBride, William. (1997). Entertaining an Elephant: a novel about learning and letting go. Pearl Street Press.
Articles: (referenced in the study guide and posted on our website)
Research Brief. (April 15, 2003). ASCD: “The Cost of Teacher Turnover,” Volume 1, Number 8.
Williams, J. S. (May, 2003). Educational Leadership: “Why Great Teachers Stay,” pages 71-74.
Gill, E. K. (2012). ASCD Express: “Survey Says It's Not About Money”