Nurturing the Heart of Autism
The Nurtured Heart Approach has been proven to create success in even the most intense children. It is an easy-to-learn, easy-to-implement conceptual framework based in positive and deeply respectful language. It is the language of creating moment after moment of success for a child. We will be sharing the Nurtured Heart Approach and a revised model for interpreting behavior that supports emotional regulation and social learning in a positive and proactive style. This model empowers parents to be their child’s best therapist. Attend and you will leave with powerful information that you can use to shift your child into a new trajectory of success immediately!
- Learn how to merge the Nurtured Heart Approach with the unique needs of children with social learning and/or communication disorders in a way that is meaningful and purposeful to the child and empowering to significant adults.
- Gain an understanding of and a means to facilitate the development of early milestones of social communication, language and speech development.
- Understand the concepts of emotional regulation and communicative intent to shift challenging interactions into successful moments of contextual social learning.
- Learn and utilize a revised model for sustaining emotional regulation, enhancing communicative competence, solving problems proactively and nurturing relationships.
Learn how to create moments of success that:
- increase language and social communication;
- improve social learning within the natural social interaction;
- create positive relationships with significant adults;
- create a positive sense of self and internalized competency through recurrent successes.
Thursday, September 27, 2012 – 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Nurturing the Heart of Autism Parent Night presentation – 2 hrs. instruction
Friday, September 28, 2012 – 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Nurturing the Heart of Autism Professional Workshop – 5.5 hrs. instruction
For graduate credit, attendance mandatory: Must attend Nurturing the Heart of Autism parent night and Nurturing the Heart of Autism professional workshop presented by guest lecturers: 7.5 hrs. instruction total. Remainder of the course can be completed with these two options:
- Read required book [Notching Up Success with the Nurtured Heart Approach - $20; Book will be available to purchase at Autism Workshop] and participate in scheduled book study discussion group with course instructor. 5 hours book reading and, 2 ½ hours face to face or skype discussion and reflection on Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2012, 7:00 – 8:15 p.m. and Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 7:00 – 8:15 p.m. "OR"
- Successfully complete a 5-week Nurtured Heart Approach Parent Education class. 8.75 hours instruction. Must attend all 5 nights of class. There is a $65 registration fee for this class. Tuesdays, October 16, 23, 30, November 6, and 13, 2012 -- 4:00 – 6:45 p.m. OR 6:15 – 8:00 p.m., NDSU Wallman Wellness Center, 18th Street Centennial Blvd. N. Fargo. Complete registration information at http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/casscountyextension/home-and-family.