Create & Captivate: Using Online Presentations to Teach
This course will provide you with the knowledge and skill to deliver an engaging presentation using online tools. You’ll also learn about how good storytelling is at the heart of a good presentation, and how you can structure and organize your presentation and handouts to most effectively communicate your idea to your intended audience. You’ll take a look at why color is important, why big photos are good, and why clip art isn’t. You’ll learn where and how to find web resources for use in creating presentations. Then, you’ll learn how to use Prezi to create a wonderfully engaging online presentation. Finally, we’ll explore You Tube and entertain ideas about how this tool can be used resourcefully in education.
As a result of participation in this course, students should:
- Understand how to use technology in the classroom to engage students and extend learning.
- Discover how to use technology to engage and empower students.
- Develop a working knowledge of Prezi for online presentations.
- Learn about constructive uses for You Tube in education.
- Design presentations that integrates technology in meaningful ways.
The required reading is found in the following articles/websites:
Articles: (referenced in the study guide and linked in your online course)
- Scherer, Marge (Feb. 2011). ASCD: “Transforming Education with Technology: A Conversation with Karen Cator”
- Coiro, Julie and Fogleman, Jay (Feb. 2011). ASCD: “Using Websites Wisely”
- Rosen, Larry D. (Feb. 2011). ASCD: “Teaching the iGeneration”
Websites: Various tutorial videos from Atomic Learning – www.atomiclearning.com.