Yoga, Mindfulness and Social Emotional Skills in the Classroom
Discover the art and science of mindfulness, social emotional learning, and yoga-based principles for grades K-12. Focus on neurological readiness for learning and the connection between social emotional learning and cross-curricular academic achievement. Investigate best practices in the newest brain research. Complete integrative lesson planning that is research based, and practical while utilizing the collaborative coaching processes. Explore activities that develop social awareness to establish and maintain positive relationships, and the ability to recognize the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others, including those different from one’s own. Strategies for use with special populations, such as ADHD, autism, and learning disabled, will be delineated throughout each session through videos, lecture, whole class and small group discussions and reading materials.
As a result of participation in this course, students will:
- Research results and demonstrate understanding of how the techniques and activities of mindfulness and yoga based activities impact the teacher, student achievement and classroom practices.
- Understand the developmental processes for self regulation, motor, social-emotional and communication skills and how to address each during group instruction.
- Learn how to design yoga sequences that maximize self regulation through respiration patterns that are differentiated by age.
- Analyze and demonstrate through application-based writing the best practices for the behavioral outcomes of sensory processing disorders such as those students with attention deficit, hyperactivity, anxiety, and autism spectrum disorders.
- Demonstrate proficiency in application of social-emotional learning standards when designing an integrative lesson plan.
- Understand how the use of intention and reflection are embedded in a lesson and how each impacts one’s relationship with oneself, to students, and in one’s ability to recognize, support and deepen healthy emotional expression.
Gillen, L., & Gillen. J. (2007). Yoga calm for children - Educating heart, mind and body. Portland, OR: Three Pebble Press.