Safe Learning Environments for GLBTQ
The purpose of this course is to offer educators with information about GLBTQ (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender & questioning) population and how to create a safe and welcoming learning environment for the students, staff, families and allies.
- Examine self-biases and institutional heterosexism regarding GLBTQ population.
- Understand a brief history of GLBTQ.
- Explore school and district structures and law in regards to GLBTQ persons.
- Understand the difference between gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning persons and sexual identity formation models.
- Recognize at-risk behavior and how bullying directly impacts GLBTQ persons.
- Participate in a Safe Space Training session.
- Provide support for GLBTQ students, staff, families, and allies.
- Focus on creating welcoming and safe learning environment for all students and their families at elementary, middle, and high school levels.
Required Student Resources:
Participants need to have or set up a Google Chrome Account - we can do this the first day of class if needed. Computers are necessary for face-to-face and for on-line work.
All materials will be provided by the instructor.