How to Identify and Combat Bullying in Our Schools
Everyone knows bullying is an issue. Hopefully you haven't been forced to deal with it. But you can't just sit on the sidelines and wait for the worst to happen. No! You must take this course so that you can be counted as one of the many who are fighting against bullying in our schools! The course is designed as a self-paced distance learning module. You can learn from the comfort and privacy of your own home. You will be required to read books and articles, watch videos, provide written responses as well as write a brief essay at the culmination of class.
Upon completion course participants:
- will assess personal strengths and weaknesses in dealing with parents.
- will develop a written plan for communicating and dealing with parents throughout the year.
- will analyze the diversity of their student population in regards to their parents and or care givers.
- will create a plan for successful parent teacher conferences.
- will proactively develop responses to common situations that may arise between teachers and caregivers.
- will create a system for communicating homework and assignments to parents.
- will develop a plan for problem solving student needs with parental involvement.
- will develop ways to deal effectively with hostile or nonresponsive parents.
- will develop effective communication with the parents of students with special needs.
- will support using article reviews the statement, “Parental Involvement positively effects student achievement.”
- will be developed through the class sessions as well as the readings, videos and written responses. The lessons are each designed to match one of the competencies.
"The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander: From Preschool to High School--How Parents and Teachers Can Help Break the Cycle of Violence" by Barbara Coloroso, ISBN-13: 978-0060014308
This book is the Companion Reading book. You will read it as you work through each lesson.
"Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World" by Rosalind Wiseman, ISBN: 978-0307454447
This book will be read outside of class time. Please read it as you take the course.