Resistance to Relationship: NHA for Tweens & Teens
This course will explore using the Nurtured Heart Approach (NHA) as a social emotional curriculum in the classroom to build inner wealth with the tween and teenager. These youth, especially ones with challenging behaviors can be led from opposition to success. Participants will immediately learn precise tools related to the three stands within the NHA to use in their classroom. Participants will be given practical ideas and implementation tools to propel towards success with this approach.
1. Participants will be able to describe the dynamics and character traits of a challenging child.
2. Participants will be able to communicate the key foundational principles of the Nurtured Heart Approach.
3. Participants will demonstrate through practical applications how to shift a challenging teen, even those with ADHD and ODD, from a stance of opposition to desiring and creating success.
4. Participants will be able to explain how traditional teaching practices often backfire with intense teens, despite the best of intentions.
5. Participants will be able to address issues specific to the needs of the school setting and how to promote nurturing culture within the school environment and explain how parents and professionals can play a supportive role.
6. Participants will walk away with skills to begin implementing the NHA immediately.
Required Student Resources:
Glasser, H.; Block, M.L.; Notching Up the Nurtured Heart Approach: The New Inner Wealth Initiative for Educators WORKBOOK, 2012, Nurtured Heart Publications, ISBN 978-0-9826714-3-6; can be purchased from instructor on the first day of class for $20.