Reaching Diverse Learners
Diversity is becoming a very real issue in our classrooms today. We have an increasing number of students requiring various learning styles, coming from different cultural backgrounds, and demonstrating ever-maturing attitudes. Reaching Diverse Learners is an integrated course that is brimming with ideas and strategies to help educators maximize abilities and cater to the individual needs of every student.
SECTION A, Teaching English Language Learners prepares you for the multicultural classroom. It helps educators to understand the influence culture has on the learning of a child by enhancing knowledge of the process of second language acquisition, introducing instructional strategies to promote effective interaction between ELL students and their classmates and approaches for adapting and modifying material to suit the learning needs of the ELL’s.
SECTION B, Positive Behavior Intervention Strategies, suggests how expected behaviors within a classroom should be taught through consistent responses and positive reinforcement. It is full of practical ideas and techniques that will help you as an educator learn to manage your classroom more effectively.
The integrated course Reaching Diverse Learners provides educators with concrete ideas and strategies to reach and teach every student in the diverse classroom.
Objectives & Outcomes:
As a result of successful participation in SECTION A, students should be able to:
- Understand who ELL’s are.
- Create a welcoming environment for new ELLs.
- Communicate effectively with ELLs.
- Effectively interact with parents of ELLs.
- Understand cultural differences in communication and social interactions.
- Understand cultural differences in other practical school related activities and issues including conferences, classroom behavior, homework and attendance.
- Teach Language effectively to ELLs.
- Assess comprehension and language proficiency in ELLs.
- Understand and practice the concepts of Sheltered instruction.
- Help ELLs learn in the classroom with a variety of new strategies that will enable them to gain knowledge as well as grow in language skills.
- Differentiate curriculum to help ELLs learn effectively.
- Implement the Language Experience Approach.
- Develop reading and writing skills in ELLs using a variety of specialized approaches and strategies.
- Apply a top-down approach to reading and phonics while working with ELLs.
As a result of successful participation in SECTION B, students should be able to:
- Understand the causes and drivers of behavior.
- Assess behavior and identify its cause.
- Create classroom routines, schedules and rules to facilitate positive behavior.
- Adapt one’s own pace and communication to facilitate positive behavior.
- De-escalate situations where a student is angry or agitated.
- Respond to defiance in the classroom positively.
- Enable hyperactive students to learn effectively in the classroom.
- Enable students with attention deficits to learn effectively in the classroom.
- Understand the concepts of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation, and apply them to motivate students in the classroom.