Gone are the days when the word classroom brought to mind an image of a dusty blackboard, chalk or the dim light from an overhead projector machine. Instead we think of smart boards, computers and other technology. Libraries and books as reference material are supplemented by the internet, blogs and Google; all of which are available at our (and our students!) fingertips. This three part integrated course, Technology Today, helps to bridge the gap, enabling safe implementation of technology in classrooms and preventing misuse by either students or adults while promoting effective learning.
SECTION A enhances professional development by presenting tools, techniques and resources to advance skills in using technology. Introduction to Technology for Teachers highlights the advantages of using technology as both a resource and a tool for educators in their classrooms.
Technology can promote effective learning only when used in the right manner. SECTION B, Technology in the 21st century Classroom, imparts valuable information regarding the principles of integrating technology in a way that promotes learning without being a distraction.
The third section of this course stresses the need to protect students from possible dangers in the online world. It helps to create awareness about the threats existing in the virtual world. SECTION C, Internet Safety is filled with practical ideas and steps that educators can take to ensure safety of the students who have access to the internet whether through classroom technology, at home or via their cell phones.
This integrated course helps educators gain an extensive outlook using technology effectively as well as safely.
Objectives & Outcomes:
As a result of successful participation in SECTION A, students should be able to:
- Understand the basics of computers and operating systems.
- Use office applications effectively.
- Use email effectively.
- Communicate and teach effectively through PowerPoint presentations.
- Use web tools in the classroom.
- Oversee a computer lab.
- Create effective lesson plans that integrate technology.
- Integrate technology into the curriculum.
As a result of successful participation in SECTION B, students should be able to:
- Understand the current scenario in educational technology today.
- Envision using a blog to facilitate learning.
- Envision using a wiki to facilitate learning.
- Envision using Twitter for learning in the classroom.
- Envision using Google docs, and Google earth to facilitate learning.
- Integrate various audio and video tools in the classroom.
- Enable students to develop digital learning skills.
- Enable students to take up different roles in the process of digital learning.
- Understand and implement ethical use of technology.
- Understand concepts of digital literacy, informational literacy, visual literacy, global literacy and network literacy.
- Help students learn to use technology effectively to learn, communicate and experiment.
As a result of successful participation in SECTION C, students should be able to:
- Understand how cyberbullying occurs on the internet.
- Understand how predators find, contact and develop relationships with children on the internet.
- Monitor and control internet use in order to protect students.
- Understand how cellphone use can be unsafe, and teach safe practices to children.
- Teach students to stay safe from phishing.
- Teach students safe use of the internet.
- Report internet crimes.