Effective Strategies to Improve Student Writing (Grades 4-12)
This online course focuses on helping teachers work with students on key writing skills. Specific strategies will be introduced that will improve student writing. Information on each stage of the writing process will be shared along with strategies that can be used to improve student writing. Teachers will also learn how to incorporate mini-lessons and writer’s workshop into their writing programs.
1. Teachers will become familiar with the writing standards.
2. Teachers will become familiar with the four writing domains.
3. Teachers will learn strategies to improve student writing (sensory/descriptive, narrative, expository, persuasive, and informative).
4. Teachers will review organizational patterns students can use to improve writing.
5. Teachers will obtain prompts for writing in each domain.
6. Teachers will learn how to use technology to enhance student writing.
7. Teachers will learn all the steps of the writing process.
8. Teachers will learn specific strategies for every stage of the writing process.
9. Teachers will learn how to effectively plan writing mini-lessons.
10. Teachers will learn how to develop a plan to implement a writer’s workshop.
11. Teachers will learn how to conduct writing workshops.
12. Teachers will discover ways to assess writing.
13. Teachers will learn how to review writing software.
14. Teachers will learn how to develop a lesson to integrate writing and technology.
15. Teachers will learn how to use literature as an example and inspiration for writing.
“Teaching Writing That Matters: Tools and Projects That Motivate Adolescent Writers” by Chris W. Gallagher and Amy Lee