M.S. in Dietetics
The online Master of Science (M.S.) in Dietetics is offered through the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (GPIDEA). This 36‐credit hour online M.S. in Dietetics prepares registered dietitians to practice dietetics at an advanced level and/or to pursue doctoral study.
Learn to design and lead effective food and nutrition programs in a variety of settings by applying advanced nutrition principles learned in this program. Develop research skills, stimulate independent thought, and learn up‐to‐date knowledge in Medical Nutrition Therapy and foodservice business management. Integrate and apply principles from the biomedical sciences, human behavior, and management. This online program is a degree tailored for credentialed, practicing registered dietitians who seek to enhance their knowledge in a specific area of dietetics practice or prepare for advanced career opportunities in a dietetics practice.
Students in the online M.S. in Dietetics program will be able to accomplish the following items.
- Apply cutting-edge information in food, nutrition, food service management, and wellness to enhance dietetics practice.
- Evaluate and apply new research concepts and theories within the profession of dietetics.
- Understand public policy and current systems of health care delivery with particular reference to the role of the dietitian.
The Great Plains IDEA is a consortium of 11 universities offering fully online graduate programs. For more information the Great Plains IDEA consortium go to: www.gpidea.org
Sample Plan of Study
Required Core Courses: (9 CREDITS)
- STAT 725 Applied Statistics (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 710 Recent Literature and Research (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 728 Current Issues in Dietetics (3 CREDITS)
Elective Courses: (21 CREDITS)
- ADHM 635 Finance & Cost Controls (3 CREDITS)
- ADHM 736 Entrepreneurship (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 705 Quantitative Methods in Development Science (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 642 Community Health & Nutrition Education (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 652 Nutrition, Health and Aging (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 655 Sports Nutrition (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 658 Advanced Medical Nutrition Therapy (4 CREDITS)
- HNES 724 Nutrition Education in the Community (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 726 Nutrition in Wellness (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 729 Grant Writing for the Health Professional (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 730 Fundamentals of Leadership (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 732 Foodservice Operations and Management (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 733 Food Writing for Professionals (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 734 Foodservice Systems within Healthcare (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 740 Maternal and Child Nutrition (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 741 International Nutrition (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 742 Nutrition: A Focus on Life Stages (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 743 Obesity Across the Lifespan (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 744 Dietary & Herbal Supplements (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 750 Advanced Human Nutrition (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 751 Metabolism of Micronutrients (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 752 Phytochemicals (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 755 Advanced Clinical Nutrition (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 756 Pediatric Clinical Nutrition (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 757 Nutritional aspects of Oncology (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 758 Clinical Aspects of Nutrition Support (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 759 Nutrition & Immunology (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 790 Graduate Seminar: Managerial Finance I (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 790 Graduate Seminar: Leadership Practicum (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 790 Graduate Seminar: Independent Study in Dietetics (3 CREDITS)
- HNES 790 Graduate Seminar: Functional Foods in Chronic Disease Prevention (3 CREDITS)
Thesis (6 CREDITS)
Students will complete a thesis under the direction of their major professor and committee. The student's thesis problem is preferably a topic related to his/her dietetics practice, results of which may add to the body of knowledge and support evidence-based dietetics practice.
Total Credits: 36
For information about graduate faculty for this program as well as their current research interests, visit the M.S. in Dietetics bulletin page.
Apply for admission
View Getting Started Guide
For current admission requirements, visit the M.S. in Dietetics bulletin page.
TUITION AND FEES
View Great Plains IDEA tuition and fee information.
NDSU Department of Health, Nutrition, and Exercise Science
NDSU Distance & Continuing Education
Phone: 1-800-726-1724 or 701-231-7015
NDSU Graduate School