M.S. in Human Development and Family Science: Family Financial Planning
Family financial planning is an emerging area with job opportunities in areas related to insurance, real estate, investments, retirement, tax and estate planning. Financial planners are increasingly in demand as Americans seek financial service advisers to help manage their income, assets, and debts. The online M.S. in Human Development and Family Science: Family Financial Planning option will enhance your knowledge of personal and family financial management. Students gain eligibility to sit for the CFP® Certification Examination, increase networking opportunities, and improve career options.
Career opportunities available to persons with special training in Family Financial Planning include:
- Financial Planning: Financial planners or financial management consultants use their knowledge of investments, tax laws, and insurance to recommend financial options to individuals in accordance with the individual's short-term and long-term financial goals. Some of the issues that financial planners address are retirement and estate planning, funding for college, and general investment options.
- Financial Analysts: Financial analysts assess the economic performance of companies and industries for firms and institutions with money to invest.
- Insurance: Insurance agents specialize in life and health insurance or property and casualty insurance and a growing number of "multi-line" agents sell all lines of insurance.
Family Financial Planning (FFP) has been registered by the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER® Board of Standards. CFP® and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER® are federally registered service marks of the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER® Board of Standards, Inc. They are granted by the CFP® Board to persons who have fulfilled a comprehensive educational requirement, passed the CFP® Certification Examination, satisfied a work experience requirement, and agreed to abide by the CFP® Board code of ethical conduct.
We also offer an 18 credit online Family Financial Planning Graduate Certificate and an online Financial and Housing Counseling Graduate Certificate. Graduate certificates are valuable tools for career advancement and are designed for individuals who want to gain credentials at the graduate-level prior to completing a full master's program. Credits from the graduate certificate are designed to transfer into a full graduate degree program.
Family Financial Planning Brochure.pdf
"The convenience for online courses can't be beat. The classes are always laid out in advance so a student knows what to expect and the professors are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Being able to take a class on my time schedule is awesome."
- Marty, Enid, OK
HDFS 677 Financial Counseling
Sample Plan of Study
Required Core Courses:
- HDFS 677 Financial Counseling (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 762 Retirement Planning, Employee Benefits and the Family (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 763 Personal Income Taxation (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 764 Family Economics (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 765 Insurance Planning for Families (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 766 Estate Planning for Families (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 767 Prof. Practices in Family Financial Planning (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 768 Housing/Real Estate (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 769 Financial Planning - Case Studies (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 770 Fundamentals of Financial Planning (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 771 Investing for the Family's Future (3 CREDITS)
- HDFS 781 Issues & Theories in Family Science (3 CREDITS)
During the final year choose from:
- HDFS 796 Practicum (6 CREDITS) OR
- HDFS 796 Practicum (3 CREDITS) + HDFS 797 Master's paper (3 CREDITS) OR
- HDFS 798 Master's thesis (6 CREDITS).
Total Credits: 42
For information about graduate faculty for this program as well as their current research interests, visit the M.S. in Human Development and Family Science: Family Financial Planning bulletin page.
Apply for admission
View Getting Started Guide
For current admission requirements, visit the M.S. in Human Development and Family Science: Family Financial Planning bulletin page.
TUITION AND FEES
View Great Plains IDEA tuition and fee information.
NDSU Department of Human Development and Family Science
NDSU Distance & Continuing Education
Phone: 1-800-726-1724 or 701-231-7015
NDSU Graduate School