Food Protection Graduate Certificate
Want to play a vital role in the health and safety of our nation's food supply? Food safety is a persistent growing concern. About 48 million Americans suffer from foodborne illness each year. Of those, 128,000 are hospitalized and 3,100 die. The lack of individuals with food safety expertise is becoming increasingly evident in government, business, and academia. This food safety expertise gap is widespread and exists in many professions. The new Food Safety Modernization Act widens the food safety expertise gap even more. The online Food Protection Graduate Certificate is designed to enhance the skills of professionals currently working in the food safety field or for individuals who work in related fields.
Individuals interested in the online graduate certificate in food protection must successfully complete the 9 semester credits of core curriculum. The student must receive a grade of B or better in each course to obtain the certificate. The food safety core courses are offered fall and spring semesters. All 9 credits may be completed in as little as one semester. A baccalaureate degree in an area pertinent to food safety is a pre-requisite to this program.
Food Protection Brochure.pdf
Sample plan of study
Required Core Courses:
- SAFE 601 Food Safety Information & Flow of Food (1 CREDIT)
- SAFE 602 Foodborne Hazards (1 CREDIT)
- SAFE 603 Food Safety Risk Assessment (1 CREDIT)
- SAFE 604 Epidemiology of Foodborne Illness (1 CREDIT)
- SAFE 605 Costs of Food Safety (1 CREDIT)
- SAFE 606 Food Safety Crisis Communication (1 CREDIT)
- SAFE 607 Food Safety Risk Management (1 CREDIT)
- SAFE 608 Food Safety Regulatory Issues (1 CREDIT)
- SAFE 609 Food Safety Risk Communication & Education (1 CREDIT)
Total Credits: 9
For information about graduate faculty for this program as well as their current research interests, visit the Food Protection graduate certificate bulletin page.
Apply for admission
View Getting Started Guide
For current admission requirements, visit the Food Protection graduate certificate bulletin page.
NDSU Department of Food Safety
NDSU Distance & Continuing Education
Phone: 1-800-726-1724 or 701-231-7015
NDSU Graduate School