CCSS: Literacy, Grades 3-8
Instructor: Sophia Thwaites
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Partner Course Fee: $499
Partner Class Offered Through Knowledge Delivery Systems
States across the union are in the process of implementing the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), which (in the language of their developers) “provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them.” Through workshop footage, classroom footage, and interviews, this course, focused on the CCSS for English Language Arts, will prepare educators to satisfy the standards’ main goals by selecting appropriate texts for their students, developing lesson plans focused on close reading and text-based discussion, mastering the art of checking for understanding through a variety of tasks, and linking assessments with instruction. Educators will learn how to render their students increasingly and effectively responsible for their learning and how to differentiate instruction even as they align their instruction and assessment to the standards.
After completing this course, educators will know:
- The expectations of the Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts;
- How to align instruction and assessment to the Standards.
Student Learning Outcomes:
After completing this course, educators will apply the following skills:
- Identify the major goals of the CCSS in English Language Arts;
- Gradually release responsibility to students to foster their learning;
- Develop lesson plans based on close reading and text-based discussions;
- Check for understanding using oral language, questions, writing, and projects and performances;
- Link formative and summative assessments with instruction.
Common Core English Language Arts in a PLC at Work™, Grades 3 – 5, Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey, Solution Tree Press, 2013. (Note teachers of grades 6 – 8 will be provided with material appropriate to their grade level.)
Register for this class through KDSi. NOTE: Upon registration, you have 2 months for course completion. Although many of our courses are approved for both 1 and 3 graduate professional development credits, participants can only receive credit for one version of each course.