Geographically Fit (Forestry Institute for Teachers) 2014
Instructor: Marilyn Weiser
Grading: Letter or S/U
Monday, August 04, 2014 - Thursday, August 07, 2014
MTW 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Th 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Location: Badlands Ministries Camp, Medora, ND
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $100 + $100 payable to NDGA
The “Enchanting Expedition of the SW” is a four-day, broad-based learning experience via a First Class charter bus where you will be treated like royalty. Each day will be spent with content rich, hands-on outdoor experiences, individual and group activities. The journey begins in the badlands near Medora and travels through Theodore Roosevelt National Park. We’ll travel along the Enchanted Highway, which passes through scenic farm and ranch country. The workshop will end with a visit to the US Forest Service grasslands and a look at the oil field development. Network with colleagues from all parts of the state and receive educational materials to utilize when school begins in the fall. Don’t miss this exciting geography, geology and forestry adventure!
- Understand how geology changed the geography of North Dakota, setting the stage for historical events and recovery of natural resources;
- Understand the history of settlement and the advancement of technology, industry and research;
- Describe the diversity of planted and native forest ecosystems and their impacts, particularly on agriculture in this region;
- Explain human-environmental interaction and the affect on forestry and water resources in this region;
- Keep a journal entry of experiences that will enhance classroom instruction.
Required Student Resources:
- Notebook for journal writing
- Digital camera (suggested)
This event requires pre-registration. Register online at http://www.ndgeographic.org. For more information contact Marilyn Weiser, at 701.858.3063 or 721.6248. Glenda Fauske at 228-5446.
Event Registration Fee: $100 payable to NDGA which will cover charter bus transportation, hotels, and lunches.