Geographically Fit (Forestry Institute for Teachers) 2013
Instructor: Marilyn Weiser
Grading: Letter or S/U
Monday, August 05, 2013 - Thursday, August 08, 2013
MTW 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Th 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Location: Hazen High School, Hazen, ND
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $100 + $100 registration fee payable to NDGA
A four-day broad-based learning experience for K-12 leaders in education via a First Class charter bus, special access tours and dynamic presentations are offered in west central ND. The ND Geographic Alliance and ND Forest Service sponsor the Institute. Each day will be spent with content rich, hands-on outdoor experiences, individual and group activities. Network with colleagues from all parts of the state and receive educational materials to utilize when school begins in the fall.
Expert presenters from the Garrison Dam and Fish Hatchery, Audubon Wildlife Refuge, Knife River Indian Villages, Lewis and Clark Center, Fort Mandan, Cross Ranch State Park, Great Plains Synfuels Plant and the Freedom Lignite Mine will also provide resources for educators. This adventure begins in Hazen. Step-on guides will interpret the landscape as we journey. Don’t miss this exciting geography, geology and forestry adventure!
- Understand how geology changed the geography of North Dakota, setting the stage for historical events and recovery of natural resources;
- Understand the history of settlement and the advancement of technology, industry and research;
- Describe the diversity of planted and native forest ecosystems and their impacts, particularly on agriculture in this region;
- Explain human-environmental interaction and the affect on forestry and water resources in this region;
- Keep a journal entry of experiences that will enhance classroom instruction.
Required Student Resources:
- Notebook for journal writing
- Digital camera (suggested)
This event requires pre-registration. To request a registration form or more information, contact the ND Geographic Alliance at 701-858-3063 or 701-721-6248 (cell), or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event Registration Fee: $100 payable to NDGA which will cover charter bus transportation, hotels, and lunches.