ELA Common Core Reading/Writing
Instructor: Mike Demario
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $370
Class Offered Through NaMaYaPD
This course will give educators the opportunity to research the common core for ELA and successful strategies that will help teachers implement these standards. Participants will examine the changes the common core has brought to the classroom and how to create daily lessons that focus on the goals created by these standards. Lesson plans, activities and assessments will be created with a focus on increased literacy and writing skills.This online course will present teachers with an arsenal of note taking, reading and writing strategies to be used in ELA lessons on any K-12 level. The course work will focus on aligning teachers’ existing lessons and activities to the common core standards.
Teachers enrolled in this course will:
- Analyze the Common Core instructional shifts in literacy and writing.
- Describe how these shifts will impact their classroom and instructional strategies.
- Explain how to assign writing tasks that will improve student reading skills.
- Identify the benefits of utilizing graphic organizers in the classroom.
- Explain the significance of close reading activities.
- Examine possible strategies for overcoming attention roadblocks of today’s’ learners.
- Compare the attention skills of today’s learner with the rigor and extensive reading assignments of the common core.
- Develop a Common Core Unit plan.
A list of online readings will be provided upon course enrollment.
About The Instructor
Michael DeMario received his M.A. E.D. in Teaching & Instruction from Trident University in California. He also earned a M.A. in Liberal Arts & Sociology from Stony Brook University in New York. Mike earned his B.A. in Social Studies from St. Joseph's College in New York. Michael has 9+ years teaching experience.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 4 months for course completion.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.