Implement CCS with Special Education
Instructor: Mike Demario
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $370
Class Offered Through NaMaYaPD
The Common Core has brought wide reaching shifts in K-12 education. While much of the emphasis has been placed on particular content areas – there is still much to examine when discussing best practices for implementing Common Core standards in special education classrooms. Participants will examine how to increase reading and writing skills to meet the diverse needs of learners in today’s schools. This course will examine the curriculum changes that have resulted from Common Core and how to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of special education students. Participants will develop strategies for teaching note taking skills, reading comprehension skills, math and writing skills. This course is appropriate for all K-12 educators.
Teachers enrolled in this course will…
- Explain the ELA shifts of the common core;
- Explain the math shifts of the common core;
- Discuss implications of the Common Core on Special Education students;
- Design lessons that promote higher level thinking skills;
- Facilitate collaboration between teacher and student;
- Design differentiated lessons that are common core activities for special education students;
- Develop best practices for incorporating math common core standards into lessons for special education students;
- Analyze the impact of the common core on IEP goal writing.
A list of online readings will be provided upon course enrollment.
About The Instructor
Michael DeMario received his M.A. E.D. in Teaching & Instruction from Trident University in California. He also earned a M.A. in Liberal Arts & Sociology from Stony Brook University in New York. Mike earned his B.A. in Social Studies from St. Joseph's College in New York. Michael has 9+ years teaching experience.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 4 months for course completion.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.