Instructor: Judy Kvaale
Monday, August 25, 2014 - Friday, December 19, 2014
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $350
Class Offered Through eEducators
Comprehending nonfiction text is essential for student success in elementary school, middle school, high school, and beyond. This online course provides research-based strategies to improve students' abilities to comprehend nonfiction text in reading and other content areas. At the end of the course, participants will understand why children struggle with informational texts and will acquire a collection of useful strategies to help students successfully read, understand and enjoy nonfiction text.
1. Develop a research-based rationale for teaching nonfiction reading comprehension strategies.
2. Understand why students struggle with comprehending nonfiction text.
3. Acquire a understanding of explicit comprehending strategies relevant to nonfiction text by applying each strategy to an assigned chapter in the book, Reality Checks: Teaching Reading Comprehension with Nonfiction.
4. Design an assessment for nonfiction reading.
5. Complete a Planner for Teaching Key Comprehension Focuses.
6. Develop 2 lesson plans implementing comprehension strategies into nonfiction units of the curriculum.
Stead, Tony (2006) Reality Checks: Teaching Reading Comprehension with Nonfiction. Portland, Maine: Stenhouse Publishers.
About The Instructor
Judy Kvaale earned an M.S. in Elementary Education from Minot State University. Judy also earned a B.A. in Elementary Education, with a minor in reading. Judy has over 35 years of experience as a third grade teacher as well as experience instructing graduate classes and adult education. Judy also received the West Fargo Chamber of Commerce Teacher of the Month award.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.