Literature Circles: Book Club for Kids
Instructor: Judy Kvaale
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $350
Class Offered Through eEducators
Would you like your students enthusiastic about reading? Then it's time to learn how to successfully implement literature circles in your curriculum. Literature circles provide a technique where students strengthen their reading skills by meeting and discussing books with peers. Recent research has linked literature circles with improved student achievement scores. This course is designed for 1st - 12th grade educators. Components of the course include book selection, student roles, strategies for conducting successful literature circles, book projects, managing groups, student assessment and aligning standards.
As a result of this participation in this course, students should:
1. Develop a research-based rationale for integrating literature circles into classroom practices.
2. Identify the components of literature circles.
3. Generate a list of books from various genres to be used in literature circles.
4. Select or design literature circle student roles and role sheets.
5. Develop a list of during reading strategies and a list of projects for sharing books.
6. Generate a daily/weekly schedule for implementing literature circles in the classroom.
7. Select state/district standards that align with the literature circles technique.
8. Create assessments to evaluate and grade literature circles.
9. Develop a plan for implementing literature circles in the classroom.
Daniels, Harvey (2001). Literature circles: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs & Reading Groups. Portland, Maine: Stenhouse Publishers.
About The Instructor
Judy Kvaale earned an M.S. in Elementary Education from Minot State University. Judy also earned a B.A. in Elementary Education, with a minor in reading. Judy has over 35 years of experience as a third grade teacher as well as experience instructing graduate classes and adult education. Judy also received the West Fargo Chamber of Commerce Teacher of the Month award.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.