Student-Led Conferences: A New Approach to Parent Teacher Conferences
Instructor: Sue Lundgren
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $350
Partner Class Offered Through eEducators
Student-led conferences are an alternative to the traditional parent-teacher conference. They are a forum where students take an active role in planning, implementing and evaluating their learning. The course is designed for K-12th grade teachers and specialists who conduct parent-teacher conferences. Participants will read Implementing Student-Led Conferences by Baily and Guskey, reflect on readings and devise a plan to incorporate student-led conferences in the classroom.
As a result of this participation in this course, students will:
1. Develop a research-based rationale for integrating student-led conferences into classroom practice.
2. Identify the components of student-led conferences.
3. Examine and develop effective tools for students to use when planning student-led conferences.
4. Select state/district standards aligning with student-led conferences.
5. Develop a plan for implementing student-led conferences in the classroom.
1. Implementing Student-Led Conferences Bailey, J., & Guskey, T. (2001) Thousand Oaks, California: Corwin Press
2. The Highs and Lows of Parent-Teacher Conferences http://www.middleweb.com/CSLV2TchrConf.html
3. Caity’s Conference: Kids Show Their Stuff at Student-Led Parent Conferences (Elementary) by Catherine Paglin http://www.nwrel.org/nwedu/fall_96/article4.html
4. Student-Led Conferences at the Middle Level by Donald G. Hackmann http://ceep.crc.uiuc.edu/eecearchive/digests/1997/hackma97.pdf
5. Student-Led Conferences: Fostering Accountability Through Self-Assessment http://coreknowledge.org/CK/resrcs/lessons/05_Admin_StudentConf.pdf
6. Performance Assessment: Portfolios http://www.smallschoolsproject.org/PDFS/Planning_Resources/autumn2003/autumn2003-portfolios.pdf
7. 5th grade checklist http://www.middleweb.com/ReadWrkshp/RWdownld/student-led_cklist.pdf
8. Student-Led Conferences: Fostering Accountability Through Self-Assessment http://coreknowledge.org/CK/resrcs/lessons/05_Admin_StudentConf.pdf
9. Performance Assessment: Portfolios http://www.smallschoolsproject.org/PDFS/Planning_Resources/autumn2003/autumn2003- portfolios.pdf