Student-Led Conferences: A New Approach to Parent Teacher Conferences
Instructor: Sue Lundgren
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $350
Class Offered Through eEducators
Student-led conferences are an alternative to the traditional parent-teacher conference. They are a forum where students take an active role in planning, implementing and evaluating their learning. The course is designed for K-12th grade teachers and specialists who conduct parent-teacher conferences. Participants will read Implementing Student-Led Conferences by Baily and Guskey, reflect on readings and devise a plan to incorporate student-led conferences in the classroom.
As a result of this participation in this course, students will:
1. Develop a research-based rationale for integrating student-led conferences into classroom practice.
2. Identify the components of student-led conferences.
3. Examine and develop effective tools for students to use when planning student-led conferences.
4. Select state/district standards aligning with student-led conferences.
5. Develop a plan for implementing student-led conferences in the classroom.
1. Implementing Student-Led Conferences Bailey, J., & Guskey, T. (2001) Thousand Oaks, California: Corwin Press
2. The Highs and Lows of Parent-Teacher Conferences http://www.middleweb.com/CSLV2TchrConf.html
3. Caity’s Conference: Kids Show Their Stuff at Student-Led Parent Conferences (Elementary) by Catherine Paglin http://www.nwrel.org/nwedu/fall_96/article4.html
4. Student-Led Conferences at the Middle Level by Donald G. Hackmann http://ceep.crc.uiuc.edu/eecearchive/digests/1997/hackma97.pdf
5. Student-Led Conferences: Fostering Accountability Through Self-Assessment http://coreknowledge.org/CK/resrcs/lessons/05_Admin_StudentConf.pdf
6. Performance Assessment: Portfolios http://www.smallschoolsproject.org/PDFS/Planning_Resources/autumn2003/autumn2003-portfolios.pdf
7. 5th grade checklist http://www.middleweb.com/ReadWrkshp/RWdownld/student-led_cklist.pdf
8. Student-Led Conferences: Fostering Accountability Through Self-Assessment http://coreknowledge.org/CK/resrcs/lessons/05_Admin_StudentConf.pdf
9. Performance Assessment: Portfolios http://www.smallschoolsproject.org/PDFS/Planning_Resources/autumn2003/autumn2003- portfolios.pdf
About The Instructor
Susan Lundgren earned an M.A. in Elementary Education from Minot State University and a B.A. double major in Elementary Education and English Literature from Bethel College in St. Paul. Susan had over 40 years of experience teaching elementary school. She also has experience instructing graduate level and adult education courses. Susan received the Teacher of the Month Award from the West Fargo Chamber of Commerce and was also a recipient of the KVLY Teacher of the Month award.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.