Readers Theater: Improving Students’ Fluency
Instructor: Sue Lundgren
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $280
Class Offered Through eEducators
Readers Theater is a rehearsed group presentation of a script proven to enhance fluency, expression, cooperative learning, and learning course content. The course is designed for 1st-12th grade classroom teachers, Title I teachers, special educators, teachers of second languages, speech pathologists and reading specialists. This course incorporates the NCLB/ Reading First Goals for enhancing education with researched approaches to teaching reading. At the end of the course participants will have a large repertoire of wonderful tools for conducting Readers Theater.
As a result of this participation in this course, students should:
1. Develop a research-based rationale for integrating Readers Theater into classroom reading practices.
2. Identify the components of Readers Theater.
3. Generate a collection of online scripts from various genres to be used in Readers Theater.
4. Examine and develop effective assessment tools.
5. Generate an instructional plan for students creating Readers Theater scripts
6. Select state/district standards aligning with the Readers Theater strategy.
7. Develop a plan for implementing Readers Theater in the classroom.
The required reading is found in many web sites.
About The Instructor
Susan Lundgren earned an M.A. in Elementary Education from Minot State University and a B.A. double major in Elementary Education and English Literature from Bethel College in St. Paul. Susan had over 40 years of experience teaching elementary school. She also has experience instructing graduate level and adult education courses. Susan received the Teacher of the Month Award from the West Fargo Chamber of Commerce and was also a recipient of the KVLY Teacher of the Month award.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.