Game Based Learning Series: Phonics
Instructor: Sue Lundgren
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $160
Partner Class Offered Through eEducators
This Game Based Learning series consists of courses in which participants will be creating ready-to-use games, locating online sites to support the language arts/math curriculum and learning how to modify popular games into learning tools. At the end of each course, participants will walk away with a large resource of ideas and supportive materials aligned with district, state, and/or national standards.
As a result of this participation in this course, students will:
1. Read research based articles on the benefits of utilizing games in the classroom.
2. Reflect on assessing game based learning.
3. Explore the standards for English Language Arts. http://www.ncte.org/about/over/standards/110846.htm.
4. Create phonics games based on state and/or district standards.
5. Locate interactive online phonics sites supporting state or district standards.
The required reading is found in a collection of web sites.