PowerPoint for Teaching and Learning
Instructor: Rojanne Brown
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Partner Course Fee: $410
Partner Class Offered Through IT4Educators
PowerPointless? Not after taking this course. Use PowerPoint intentionally and effectively in the classroom. Learn to create motivating, interactive presentations that will engage your students and increase their learning. Teach your students to create non-linear, multimedia projects that are expressions of what they have learned. Working at your own pace throughout this course, you will use online, step-by-step tutorials and Internet resouces to apply new knowledge and skills to instructional practice.
Required software: PowerPoint 2002 or higher (PC or Mac)
As a result of participating in this course, students will:
- Use Atomic Learning (online software tutorials) to discover how to create effective PowerPoint presentations.
- Use Moodle (online discussion board) to participate in online discussions.
- Identify National Technology Standards for Teachers and Students (ISTE) and make correlations to your teaching experiences in the six standards areas.
- Read, reflect and discuss research about the best practices for using PowerPoint in the classroom.
Further develop a unit you teach that is aligned with your state and district standards by:
- Creating an effective PowerPoint presentation that supports a curricular objective and engages your students in a new concept.
- Creating a sample student PowerPoint product that meets a curricular objective aligned with state core curriculum standards and National Technology Standards for Students.
- Creating a rubric that assesses the student product.
- Creating an interactive PowerPoint game as a review or extention tool for the unit you've developed.
There are no textbooks associated with this course.