Digital Storytelling in the Classroom
Instructor: Rojanne Brown
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Course Fee: $410
Class Offered Through IT4Educators
Help your students define their point of view and find their voice as they deepen their understanding of curricular content. Teach your students to express themselves and share their learning as they create projects that incorporate sound, images and special effects with their audio narrative. Working at your own pace throughout this course, you will use online, step-by-step tutorials and Internet resources to apply new knowledge and skills to instructional practices.
As a result of participation in this course, students will:
1. Read, reflect and discuss research about best practices for using digital storytelling in the classroom.
2. Study National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) standards, NETS for Students, and your state or district content standards. Assuming digital storytelling as a methodology, describe how it can address curriculum goals tied to content standards. Identify how digital storytelling can be a natural extension of language arts.
3. Consider how engaging your students in content based digital storytelling will impact achievement. Discern key critical thinking components and how they relate to creating a digital story.
4. Use Atomic Learning (online software tutorials) to discover how to teach and learn with digital storytelling tools.
5. Use Moodle (online discussion board) to participate in online discussion.
6. Develop a digital storytelling unit that is aligned with your state or district content standards.
About The Instructor
Rojanne Brown earned her M.Ed. from the University of Minnesota. Rojanne has been in the field of education for 27 years. For the past 15, she has been a Technology Integration Specialist in the Osseo Area School District. She has published an article in TechTrends and received the following awards: The William E. Gardner Pre-K-12 Outstanding Educator Award (2008), TIES Exceptional Teacher Award (2005), Teacher of the Year, Minnesota (2000, Technology & Learning Magazine). Rojanne is a Google Certified Teacher as well as Google Certified Trainer, A NET'S Certified Teacher, and an Intel Teach to the Future Master Teacher.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.