Character Education 1: Building the Base
Instructor: Jolene Richardson
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $125
This course allows any time, any place learning completely online with no face-to-face sessions and will provide learning experiences for educators, parents, various professionals who work with youth/families, and community members that will promote development of a portfolio containing ideas, information, and planning strategies for implementing a comprehensive character education program.
Upon completion of the course the participant will be able to:
1. Construct a list of personal core values, and work with a team to come to consensus on school core values and community core values.
2. Define character qualities in terms of behaviors that can be seen in life of the school, family and community.
3. Propose a plan to disseminate these definitions of character qualities widely throughout the school and parent communities.
4. Write 1 plan that helps students to acquire understanding of one character quality and what it means in everyday bahaviors are right and some are wrong.
5. Prepare 1 article to be communicated to parents providing tips and suggestions how students can practice their behaviors in everyday life.
6. Review programs that provide explicit regular planned opportunities for students to learn the character qualities.
7. Develop a list of strategies that will infuse character education throughout teh child's total environment.