Capstone Course - Becoming an Online Teacher
Instructor: Mark J. Bucceri, M.Ed.
Grading: Letter or S/U
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $150 + Partner Course Fee: $275
Partner Class Offered Through Virtual High School
This is the capstone course in the five course series that involves an intensive online teaching practicum and portfolio project.
Becoming an Online Teacher will give participants the opportunity to experience online teaching by partnering with a VHS online master teacher in an established middle or high school course. Through observation, reflection and actively participating in the online classroom environment, the participant will first partner with the master teacher to deliver instruction, and then will fully assume online classroom responsibilities.
At the completion of this course, students will have completed the following:
- Partnered with a VHS online master teacher on ways to transform curriculum to build a web-enhanced or online learning environment.
- Learned to combine the best features of in-class teaching with the best features of online learning to promote active learning and critical thinking.
- Facilitated project-based and collaborative learning in an online course.
- Discovered how to promote an online dialogue to deepen the learning experience.
- Discerned the importance of specifying learning objectives and outcomes for students and learn how to design activities and assessments based upon learning outcomes.
- Become comfortable using the Internet as an instructional tool.
- Be able to fully assume online classroom responsibilities.
Please register with Virtual High School at http://thevhscollaborative.org/best-practices-series/becoming-online-teacher for the course prior to registering for NDSU Professional Development Graduate Credit.
Session Dates: April 24, 2013; July 10, 2013; October 9, 2013