Instructor: Amy Michalowski
Grading: Letter or S/U
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $150 + Partner Course Fee: $275
Partner Class Offered Through Virtual High School
The Web-enhanced Classroom uses technology to enhance traditional face-to-face (f2f) instruction. This online training course prepares face-to-face teachers to incorporate online strategies into their classroom instruction. This course increases the awareness of the number of Web-based tools available and teaches how to use them effectively to enhance instruction. Online material is viewed as an extension of the classroom, and traditional lectures or classroom activities are linked with enhancements, such as virtual tours, WebQuests, real-time information, maps, pictures, streaming video, audio clips, and open-source online course components.
At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Explore ways to transform curriculum to build a web-enhanced learning environment.
- Combine the best features of in-class teaching with the best features of online learning to promote active learning and critical thinking.
- Facilitate project-based and collaborative learning in a web-extended or online course.
- Discover how to promote an online dialogue to deepen the learning experience.
- Understand the importance of specifying learning objectives and outcomes for students and learn how to design activities and assessments based upon learning outcomes.
- Become comfortable using the Internet as an instructional tool.
- Develop a complete lesson plan for a web-enhanced classroom.
Please register with Virtual High School at http://thevhs.org/ for the course prior to registering for NDSU Professional Development Graduate Credit.