180 Degrees: Rethinking Classroom Management
EDUC 792 or 600
Instructor: Dr. Olufunmilayo Amobi
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Correspondence
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $385
Partner Class Offered Through Learner's Edge
This course will challenge all of the most common assumptions about discipline and classroom management. Be prepared to question the assumption that problems in the classroom are usually the fault of students who don't do what they're told. Reconsider what it is that they've been told to do---or to learn. Explore how to work with students to create caring communities where decisions are made together. A revolutionary concept/course!
Course participants will:
- Understand the limitations and disadvantages of punishment.
- Understand the limitations and disadvantages of praise/rewards.
- Understand the value of community and the necessary ingredients for building community.
- Critically examine the assumptions about discipline and classroom management that guide his/her decisions.
- Recommend changes to make in his/her classroom that will result in a more respectful, responsible, caring community.
The required reading is found in the following text:
Kohn, A. (2006). Beyond discipline: from compliance to community. Alexandria, VA: ASCD
Course is not available online.