Successful Strategies in Literacy
EDUC 792 or 600
Instructor: Dr. Larry Napoleon
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Combination
Location: Course is available either online or print-based, ,
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $390
Partner Class Offered Through Learner's Edge
Empower your students to be independent learners as they navigate deliberate steps in literacy instruction at their own pace. Readings will provide strong examples of structure that you can incorporate immediately as you build upon your students’ literacy skills. This course may challenge the way you view literacy instruction, and will invigorate your overall approach in the classroom.
As a result of this participation in this course, students should:
1. Understand the foundations and rationale behind the strategies of The CAFÉ and the Daily 5
2. Utilize techniques to help their students become independent learners in developing their literacy
3. Formulate plans to ensure students have clear guidelines and appropriate time and materials to improve literacy skills
4. Adapt and apply new literacy techniques to their primary classroom
5. Design a plan to incorporate The Daily 5 philosophy in the classroom, team or building
Boushey, Gail and Moser, Joan. (2009), The CAFÉ Book. Portland, ME: Stenhouse Publishers.
Boushey, Gail and Moser, Joan. (2006), The Daily 5. Portland, ME: Stenhouse Publishers.