The School Law Handbook: What Every Teacher Needs to Know*
Instructor: Joseph C'de Baca
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Correspondence
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $165
Partner Class Offered Through Teachers Learning Center
This course examines the numerous school law and legal issues that affect the public school system. Educators will become knowledgeable about the various social and political issues that are manifested in school systems. It will provide educators with a general understanding of how various legal issues have been decided. The course will provide teachers with a school law background so they can work with students or educators and feel more comfortable in their school settings.
1. Educators will have a working knowledge of basic legal issues that affect the teachers and the public schools system.
2. Participants will analyze legal issues such as school safety, facilities, drug and health issues as they relate to educators and school environments.
3. Educators will be able to discern the legal dynamics related to religion, prayer, and curriculum issues in schools as well as free speech and expression.
4. Teachers will study the legal issues related to personnel management and decisions as well as the legal concept of governmental immunity.
5. Educators will write about legal issues relating to students, teachers, parents and administrators as they apply to their school and personal experience.
The School Law Handbook: What ever leader needs to know. By Bosher, William. (2004) Alexandria, VA: ASCD. 197 pages.
Registration for Teacher's Learning Center (TLC) classes will take you to the registration form on the TLC website. Be sure to indicate you want the credit from NDSU.