Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
Instructor: Joseph C'de Baca
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Correspondence
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $165
Partner Class Offered Through Teachers Learning Center
This course will explore the four personality characters: Choleric, Sanguine, Melancholy and Phlegmatic. The personality styles are presented in great depth to explain the behavior characteristics for each of the four types of individuals. Teachers will find their own personality profile and examine each style’s various strengths and corresponding weaknesses. Educators will develop a two-page application essay, lesson plan or activities for classroom applications of personality profile theory.
1. Teachers will learn about behavioral characteristics of the 4 main character types: Choleric, Sanguine, Phlegmatic and Melancholy
2. Educators will perform the self-evaluation character/personality test on themselves to determine their own character type and behavior style.
3. Teachers will examine both the positive and negative aspects of the character types and learn how to regulate the negative behaviors and/or accentuate the positive characteristics.
4. Educators will learn to observe and analyze student behaviors, so they can establish realistic expectations of student behaviors or tolerate student differences.
5. Teachers will develop character awareness skills to understand their students’ character strengths and weaknesses and improve classroom management practices.6. Educators will develop a written essay assignment, lesson plan, project or activity to introduce the personality concepts into the classroom environment.
Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself, by Florence Littauer. (1992). Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker House. 204 pages.
Registration for Teacher's Learning Center (TLC) classes will take you to the registration form on the TLC website. Be sure to indicate you want the credit from NDSU.