ELL Student Immersion in the Classroom
Instructor: Joan Sousae, MAED
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $150 + Partner Course Fee: $199
Partner Class Offered Through NaMaYaPD
Students from hundreds of different multi-cultural backgrounds attend our public schools each day creating challenges for the teacher. In order to help teachers understand and work with these students, this course will introduce the participant to the study of language in multicultural urban settings. The course will introduce related topics, such as bilingual/bidialectal families and bilingual education, language and gender, literacy in a changing, technological society, child language acquisition, and different dialects and registers of English. The readings will draw on works in ESL immersion, constructivism, Increasing Limited English Proficiency, and increasing parent involvement.
Students will be able to:
1. Analyze major learning theories as they pertain to providing instruction to English Language Learners and Bilingual students.
2. Define key terms, jargon and acronyms associated with teaching English as a second language.
3. Analyze instructional materials and classroom environment for cultural sensitivity or language related factors.
4. Evaluate current practices associated with instructing English Language Learners and Bilingual students and compare it to best practices described in current literature.
5. Discuss issues related to parental involvement and its impact on student learning.
6. Reflect on teaching style and philosophy of education as it pertains to working with English Language Learners and Bilingual students.
7. Evaluate community, district, school and classroom factors that must be considered when creating a classroom environment and designing effective instruction.
A list of readings will be provided upon course enrollment.
Pre-registration with NaMaYa PD is required.
Please register at http://school.namaya.com/pd/ before registering for NDSU Credit.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 4 months for course completion.