Preparing Your Classroom for the ELL Student
Instructor: Joan Sousae, MAED
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $150 + Partner Course Fee: $199
Partner Class Offered Through NaMaYaPD
With many cultures represented in today’s classrooms and schools it is crucial for an educator to be aware of the roles cultural background and English proficiency play on curriculum development and classroom management. Educators in this course will examine cultural factors that must be considered when choosing a model of delivery of instruction, interacting with parents, implementing effective classroom management techniques, and developing school-wide discipline policies. Applying knowledge gained from a variety of sources, educators will be able to demonstrate their understanding by evaluating and modifying curriculum and materials to make them accessible to second language learners.
The successful student will:
• Reflect on the changing interests and needs of students in their school;
• Identify strategies to meet those needs;
• Develop skills to facilitate school change;
• Examine their own values, beliefs, and abilities to raise student achievement in both the social and academic areas;
• Create an action plan to improve the building of strong community in their school;
• Make commitments to work on implementing, monitoring, and assessing the plan.
Eight Habits of the Heart for Educators: Building Strong School Communities Through Timeless Values by Clifton Taulbert
Pre-registration with NaMaYa PD is required.
Please register at http://school.namaya.com/pd/ before registering for NDSU Credit.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 4 months for course completion.