Theories of Learning for ESL Students
Instructor: Joan Sousae, MAED
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $150 + Partner Course Fee: $199
Partner Class Offered Through NaMaYaPD
Increasing numbers of students enrolled in our schools today are English Language Learners and/or Bilingual students who come from diverse cultural backgrounds. This requires educators to be well versed in the theory and practice of Bilingual and Multicultural education to meet the unique needs of these students. This course will provide the educator with the opportunity to develop an understanding of educational theories and terms relevant to this field of education. Through the use of a variety of sources the educator will become familiar with practices in Bilingual and Multicultural education that will then be applied to the evaluation and design of effective instructional materials and programs.
The student will be able to:
1. Analyze major learning theories as they pertain to providing instruction to English Language Learners and Bilingual students.
2. Define key terms, jargon and acronyms associated with teaching English as a second language.
3. Analyze instructional materials and classroom environment for cultural sensitivity or language related factors.
4. Evaluate current practices associated with instructing English Language Learners and Bilingual students and compare it to best practices described in current literature.
5. Discuss issues related to parental involvement and its impact on student learning.
6. Reflect on teaching style and philosophy of education as it pertains to working with English Language Learners and Bilingual students.
7. Evaluate community, district, school and classroom factors that must be considered when creating a classroom environment and designing effective instruction.
A list of readings will be provided upon course enrollment.
Pre-registration with NaMaYa PD is required.
Please register at http://school.namaya.com/pd/index.php/courses/preview/84-ndsu-theories-of-learning-for-esl-students before registering for NDSU Credit.
NOTE: Upon registration, you have 4 months for course completion.