Mobile Devices in the Classroom
Instructor: Rojanne Brown
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Instruction Mode: Internet-Asynchronous (Online Class)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
Course Fee: $410
Class Offered Through IT4Educators
Mobile devices are everywhere! How do you harness the accessibility and engagement of iPods, iPads and cell phones to increase student learning? In this course you will explore the educational potential of mobile devices in your classroom. You will have access to online Atomic Learning tutorials that will support your exploration of mobile devices as authentic, engaging and interactive classroom learning tools.
• Computer with Internet access
• Access to at least one Internet enabled cell phone, Smart Phone or mobile device (some i.e. iPhone,
Blackberry, Android, iPod, and/or iPad)
• iTunes account (most current version) - free download: http://www.apple.com/itunes
- Read current regarding the educational impact of mobile devices in the classroom.
- Identify National Technology Standards for Students (ISTE) and make predictions correlating the potential impact of mobile device on the listed performance indicators.
- Develop a responsible use policy that encourages creativity.
- Use Atomic Learning (online software tutorials) as a technical and experiential resource.
- Evaluate and compare a variety of mobile devices as instructional tools to engage and motivate students and increase student achievement.
- Guided by Bloom's Digital Taxonomy, create lesson plans integrating the effective use of mobile devices into engaging learning experiences.
- Use Moodle to participate in online discussions regarding your learning in this course.
About The Instructor
Rojanne Brown earned her M.Ed. from the University of Minnesota. Rojanne has been in the field of education for 27 years. For the past 15, she has been a Technology Integration Specialist in the Osseo Area School District. She has published an article in TechTrends and received the following awards: The William E. Gardner Pre-K-12 Outstanding Educator Award (2008), TIES Exceptional Teacher Award (2005), Teacher of the Year, Minnesota (2000, Technology & Learning Magazine). Rojanne is a Google Certified Teacher as well as Google Certified Trainer, A NET'S Certified Teacher, and an Intel Teach to the Future Master Teacher.
A minimum $20 processing fee will be assessed per person for cancellations received after the start of the course. Refunds are not issued after the start of the course or after access to the course has been provided.