Autism & Asperger’s Disorder: Information & Effective Intervention Strategies
Instructor: Dr. Marrea Winnega
Spring, Summer & Fall (Ongoing)
Academic Level: K-12 Professional Development
NDSU Credit Fee: $100 + Partner Course Fee: $125
Partner Class Offered Through Virtual Education Software, inc.
This course describes Autism and Asperger's Disorder, including characteristics of these disorders, associated learning styles, communication weaknesses, and various intervention strategies. The course helps you make sense out of why individuals with Autism spectrum disorders act the way they do, and what you can do to enhance more appropriate behavior. This course also lists resources for educators, related service personnel, and parents who want more help or information on Autism and Asperger's Disorder.
This computer-based instruction course is a self-supporting program that provides instruction, structured practice, and evaluation all on your home or school computer. Technical support information can be found, in the Help section of your course.
1. To define the characteristics of Autistic Disorder and Asperger’s Disorder for better understanding of these disorders.
2. To increase the ability to identify students having these disorders.
3. To provide information on how individuals with these disorders are different from other students, and how to teach them given these differences.
4. To understand their behavior in terms of their differences and communication styles.
5. To develop an understanding of the communication differences and weaknesses in students with autism or Asperger’s.
6. To provide information on teaching strategies.
7. To provide resources for teachers and parents.
Title: Autism & Asperger’s Disorders: Information & Effective Intervention Strategies
Author: Dr. Marrea Winnega, Ph.D. & Mary Coughlin, CCC-SLP
Effective September 1, 2014, cost for this course will be $235
VESi will no longer offer the CD-ROM option after August 30, 2014